Well, I managed to fool WordPress into accepting an animated GIF so here’s the one I made of the ribbon feed mechanism being operated manually. It’s a little rough because the original pictures were taken with the tower lying on the table, free to move around a bit. Nevertheless the basic steps can be seen:
- The drive pawl engages the ratchet wheel.
- The locking pawl clears the ratchet wheel.
- The pawl ring rotates counterclockwise, turning the ratchet wheel with it.
- The locking pawl engages the ratchet wheel.
- The drive pawl clears the ratchet wheel.
- The pawl ring rotates clockwise, with the ratchet wheel stationary.